Data Collection Policy (What we collect)
The Data Repository for UW is run by the University Libraries and publishes at no cost research data that meet the following collection criteria:
- Data must be authored by at least one University of Wyoming researcher with an active UW ID.
- Data must be non-restricted data that DO NOT contain any private, confidential, or other legally protected information (e.g., personal identifiable information).
- Data must be deposited for open access -- this means that visitors to the UW Data Repository as well as machine reading services may download and reuse your data & metadata. Data that is not suitable for reuse should not be shared in the Data Repository.
- All data will be managed and curated by the UW Libraries. We cannot accept and/or publish data that we cannot manage. Therefore, all data published by the UW Libraries will be stored within the PetaLibrary infrastructure, not on external infrastructure.
- Data are digital. Files that originate from within the UW PetaLibrary may be moved by Libraries or ARCC staff. Data originating from outside the UW PetaLibrary may be uploaded if the dataset does not exceed 50GB. Please contact us to discuss larger data sets.
- Data must include adequate documentation describing the nature of the data at an appropriate level for purposes of reuse and discovery. We REQUIRE descriptive metadata as well as a Readme file before we will release a dataset for publication. All data receive curatorial review and data that are incomplete or not ready for reuse will not be accepted in to the repository.
- The data should be in a final publishable state.
- Data should consist of original and/or unique data that cannot be easily acquired elsewhere.
- It is the responsibility of individuals who are uploading data to make sure that they have the necessary rights or permissions to share any materials they did not themselves generate.
- Data, portions of data, or accompanying documentation that contain copyrightable materials (e.g. text, images, video, audio, etc) that did not originate with the depositor may present significant legal issues for deposit and sharing. Data that contain such third-party copyrightable materials may be subject to additional curatorial review, and/or may not be accepted into the repository.
By depositing this Content (“Content”) in the University of Wyoming PetaLibrary, I agree that I am solely responsible for any consequences of uploading this Content to the PetaLibrary and making it publicly available, and I represent and warrant that:
- I am either the sole creator and the owner of the copyrights and all other rights in the Content; or, without obtaining another’s permission, I have the right to deposit the Content in an archive such as the PetaLibrary.
- To the extent that any portions of the Content are not my own creation, they are used with the copyright holder’s express permission or as permitted by law. Additionally, the Content does not infringe the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of another, nor does the Content violate any laws or another’s rights of privacy or publicity.
- The Content contains no restricted, private, confidential, or otherwise protected data or information that should not be publicly shared.
- I warrant that distribution of the Content under a CC0 Waiver (https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/) complies with all relevant laws and publisher, funder, and employer guidelines and/or contractual restrictions.
I understand that the PetaLibrary will do its best to provide perpetual world-wide access (via the internet) to my Content. In order to support these efforts, I grant the University of Wyoming, through its PetaLibrary, the following non-exclusive, perpetual, royalty-free, world-wide rights and licenses:
- to access, reproduce, distribute and publicly display the Content, in whole or in part, in order to secure, preserve and make it publicly available, and
- to make derivative works based upon the Content in order to migrate the Content to other media or formats, or to preserve its public access.
These terms do not transfer ownership of the copyright(s) in the Content. These terms only grant to the University the limited license outlined above.
Authors who share their data here expect that it will be re-used to some degree. Users are expected to abide by the University of Wyoming Data policies such as those from the Office of Research and Economic Development, where applicable. However, by using or downloading the data, you signify your agreement to the conditions of use stated below:
- The user not make any use of data to identify or otherwise infringe the privacy or confidentiality rights of individuals discovered inadvertently or intentionally in the data.
- The user will give appropriate attribution to the author(s) of the data in any publication that employs resources provided by the PetaLibrary.
- If your use or publication requires permission, you must contact the authors directly; administrators of the PetaLibrary cannot respond to requests for permission.